- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in walnuts, cranberries, sugar, pepper and cayenne. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush lightly with butter. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Arrange 1/3 cup spinach, a fourth of the sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon roasted peppers in a narrow row across bottom of phyllo within 1 in. of edges. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Brush end of phyllo dough with butter and press to seal. Repeat three times. Place rolls on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 1-in. pieces (do not separate). Brush tops with remaining butter; brush again with beaten egg. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sausage Phyllo Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews forSausage Phyllo Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review