My brother shared his recipe for appetizer rolls with me years ago, and they’ve been a family favorite ever since. The delicate phyllo dough wraps around a hearty sausage filling.—Katty Chiong, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in walnuts, cranberries, sugar, pepper and cayenne. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush lightly with butter. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Arrange 1/3 cup spinach, a fourth of the sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon roasted peppers in a narrow row across bottom of phyllo within 1 in. of edges. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Brush end of phyllo dough with butter and press to seal. Repeat three times. Place rolls on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 1-in. pieces (do not separate). Brush tops with remaining butter; brush again with beaten egg. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sausage Phyllo Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Sausage Phyllo Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review