Sausage Pepper Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hoagie or submarine sandwich buns, split
- In a large skillet, brown sausage links over medium heat. Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, tomato sauce and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Use a slotted spoon to serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Pepper Sandwiches
Sort By :
I made this for dinner and it got rave reviews (even from the kids who hate peppers and onions). I used a mixture of hot and mild turkey sausages and used 2 green peppers (I didn't have a red one) and instead of tomato sauce, used some leftover canned spaghetti sauce. Turned out great, was super easy and warmed us on a chilly day. Looking forward to making this again.
We added a bit of soy sauce and crushed red peppers...It was spicy and great! Served it on some toasted hoagie rolls. Loved it so much that I we are planning on putting it on our Super Bowl Menu!
When doubling this use a 28 oz can of tomato puree and 1 cup of water instead of an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Made a difference.
What a great sandwich! I have doubled the recipe and served it the 2nd time around with noodles. Makes a great sauce. I use the Johnsonville Sweet Ital. Sausage.