- Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup
- sausage mixture on half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edges;
- fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on
- baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm
- remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 calzone with 4-1/2 teaspoons sauce) equals 330 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,043 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.