Sausage Pepper Calzones Recipe
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add the onion, peppers and 2 teaspoons oil. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the sherry, vinegar, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary; heat through.
- 3. Divide each loaf of dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- 4. Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture on half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edges; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
- 5. Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 330 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1043mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Sausage Pepper Calzones
"My family loves this recipe. I add a couple of tablespoons of mozzarella cheese to each calzone before folding and baking."