Sausage Pepper Calzones Recipe
These tasty Italian sandwiches from Marion Lowery of Medford, Oregon are chock-full of savory turkey sausage, sweet peppers and herbs, enhanced by zesty pizza sauce. Made from convenient frozen bread dough, the baked calzones should be cooled before they are packed in lunches or stored in the freezer.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add the onion, peppers and 2 teaspoons oil. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the sherry, vinegar, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary; heat through.
- Divide each loaf of dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture on half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edges; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Pepper Calzones in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p5
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Pepper Calzones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2010
"My family loves this recipe. I add a couple of tablespoons of mozzarella cheese to each calzone before folding and baking."