Sausage Pepper Calzones Recipe
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add the onion, peppers and 2 teaspoons oil. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the sherry, vinegar, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary; heat through.
- Divide each loaf of dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture on half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edges; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Pepper Calzones(1)
Sort By :
My family loves this recipe. I add a couple of tablespoons of mozzarella cheese to each calzone before folding and baking.
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >