Sausage Penne Bake Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, eggplant and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Add wine and garlic, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain pasta. Add the pasta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, olives, basil and pepper to skillet.
- 3. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 325 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 623 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.