No one will guess a dish this cheesy and filling could be healthy, but this one’s chock-full of eggplant, whole wheat pasta, tomatoes and fabulous flavor. —Barbara Kempen, Cambridge, Minnesota
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, eggplant and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add wine and garlic, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain pasta. Add the pasta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, olives, basil and pepper to skillet.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Penne Bake in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p49
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sausage Penne Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review