Sausage Penne Bake Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, eggplant and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in wine and garlic, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain pasta. Add the pasta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, olives, basil and pepper to skillet.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sausage Penne Bake(10)
Sort By :
Family really enjoyed this
Easy to make & delicious with lots of flavor!Note: It would be easy to cut back on sausage & cheese if you wanted less fat & use unsalted tomatoes to reduce sodium. I added a zucchini & it made such a wonderful dish full of veggies. My only sub was to use Italian seasoning instead of basil. However, some fresh basil leaves would be great!
Just finished eating two bowls full. Excellant! Followed the recipe, but next time I will cut the onions into larger pieces and add a cup of canned corn. Maybe a bit of bell pepper.
Look at the Saturated fat content and the Sodium content. These numbers are for a one cup serving. Not "heart healthy" at all!!
I'm a big fan of Eggplant. I used Whole grain Penne (that was all I had) instead of Whole wheat Penne . Loved it, loved it, loved it!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Baked Turkey >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >