Sausage Pasta with Vegetables Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
- 3. Drain pasta; stir into turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 445 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,020 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.