I rely on my slow cooker to prepare this chili-like specialty. It's packed with turkey sausage, pasta and vegetables. My gang gobbles it up without realizing they're eating healthy. —Sarah Bowen of Upland, California
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 4 cups water
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red or green pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the water, spaghetti sauce, beans, summer squash, carrots, red pepper and onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the pasta, peas, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Pasta Stew in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p37
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Pasta Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review