Sausage Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (29 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a blender, process tomato mixture in batches until smooth. Return to the pan. Add sausage; heat through. Gradually stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; top with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sausage Pasta Sauce
Sort By :
"Actually, this pasta sauce is a 20-star recipe! So sorry I could only give it a 5! The flavors are rich and satisfying. A very hearty offering for those hungry guys in the family. Also special enough for casual company. I have frequently doubled this recipe and frozen it to have a ready-made sauce for school nights. Doubling worked fine--no adjustments were necessary. I use half and half instead of heavy whipping cream but everything stays the same. All-time family favorite for many years!!!"
"Great recipe! I halved it to feed my family of 6. I left out the peppers, I did not have any on hand. I also did not use stewed tomatoes and switched crushed tomatoes for tomato sauce. I also left out the whipped cream and skipped the pureeing process. I did all the cooking in one large skillet. This makes a deliciously different pasta sauce, I loved the twist of the chili powder and brown sugar. Very yummy! Will make again."
"I made this with 2 lbs. ground sirloin and it was delicious! Will definitely make again & again. Thanks!"