Sausage Mushroom Dressing Recipe
To go with your turkey entree, how about serving Sausage Mushroom Dressing? The recipe comes from Mary Coleman of Norwood, Massachusetts. "My children and guests almost pass over the turkey in favor of this savory dressing each holiday," Mary notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:16-24 servings
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 28 cups day-old bread cubes (about 3 pounds sliced bread)
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic in the drippings and butter until tender. Stir in the sage, salt and pepper.
- 2. In several large bowls, combine the mushroom mixture, bread cubes, sausage, broth and bacon; toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 2 casseroles (12-16 servings each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC