- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with 2 cups sausage mixture and half of the cheese and tomatoes. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sausage-Mushroom Breakfast Bake
Sort By :
I cut this recipe in half and baked in a 9" x 9" casserole, for 50 minutes and let stand 10 min. I used 1/2 the ingredients and only 3/4 cup cheese. It has a good flavor but, it was oity. I would make again, but would use fat free cheese and back off the milk to 1 cup, as to make the eggs firm. I did add sauted mushrooms and onions. Very good.
This was pretty good, though I think I'll cut down on the amount of bread next time and bump up the mushrooms and eggs. It's very rich and I liked the flavor - just a little too bread-heavy...
I would recommend using less milk so it doesn't take quite as long to bake.
added some onion powder and divided the recipe in half. And yes, you do refridgerate overnight - at least that is what I did and it turned out delicious!
This is very good. Next time I make it I will double the mushrooms and tomatoes. This recipe will be very easy to cut in half for a smaller family. I also want to try adding some bacon bits, finely diced onions and green peppers. I will recommend this to friends and family.