- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with 2 cups sausage mixture and half of the cheese and tomatoes. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sausage-Mushroom Breakfast Bake
"I cut this recipe in half and baked in a 9" x 9" casserole, for 50 minutes and let stand 10 min. I used 1/2 the ingredients and only 3/4 cup cheese. It has a good flavor but, it was oity. I would make again, but would use fat free cheese and back off the milk to 1 cup, as to make the eggs firm. I did add sauted mushrooms and onions. Very good."
"I would recommend using less milk so it doesn't take quite as long to bake."
"added some onion powder and divided the recipe in half. And yes, you do refridgerate overnight - at least that is what I did and it turned out delicious!"
"This is very good. Next time I make it I will double the mushrooms and tomatoes. This recipe will be very easy to cut in half for a smaller family. I also want to try adding some bacon bits, finely diced onions and green peppers. I will recommend this to friends and family."
"The recipe doesn't say if the dish should be refrigerated overnight, as most of these kind of recipes are."