To lighten up this recipe, use your favorite turkey sausage! Recipe provided by Eggland's Best®.
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs (large)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) package hot italian sausage
- 1 shallot, sliced down the middle, then sliced into pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package cut leaf spinach, thawed and drained of all liquid
- 1 (4-ounce) container crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it reaches a 12x12 inch square.
- Cut into four 6 inch squares.
- With a dull knife, score the pastry 1/4" on all sides creating a square, being careful not to cut through the pastry.
- Transfer the pastry to a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops of pastry with the beaten egg. Set aside (you may refrigerate it, if you want to use it later)
- Crumble sausage and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until done. Do not drain.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet with shallots and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes (Add the additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil if necessary).
- Add garlic and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper and gently toss until mixed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Generously layer pastry with crumbled goat cheese, being sure to keep ingredients within the 'frame'.
- Top with crumbled sausage, then spinach and top with the mushroom and onion mixture.
- Be sure to leave a well or indentation in the middle (for ease in placing the egg).
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and crack an egg into the center of each pastry.
- Place back in oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until egg is set.
- Remove from oven, garnish with thyme, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve! Yield: 8 servings
Originally published as Sausage Mushroom and Egg Galette in Eggland's Best 2015
Reviews for Sausage Mushroom and Egg Galette
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review