Sausage Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked penne or pasta of your choice
- 1. Crumble sausage into a skillet. Add the onion, peppers and oil. Cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, sugar, basil and garlic powder; heat through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
One 3/4 cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and 3 teaspoons sugar; calculated without pasta) equals 195 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Sausage Marinara Sauce
"will use smoked sausage"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.