Sausage Marinara Sauce
Not only does this sauce freeze well, but it's a family favorite. I like to keep a few batches in the freezer. Then I simply cook the pasta, reheat the sauce and dinner is ready.Christi Gillentine, Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked penne or Daily Chef Penne Rigate of your choice
Give flavor to your favorite Italian meals with premium Daily Chef Pasta.
Learn More >
- Crumble sausage into a skillet. Add the onion, peppers and oil. Cook
- over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are
- tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, sugar, basil
- and garlic powder; heat through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4 cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and 3 teaspoons sugar; calculated without pasta) equals 195 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.