Sausage Marinara Over Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links
- 4 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Place sausages in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat for 12-14 minutes or until browned, turning twice. Cool; slice sausages and set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. In same skillet, saute mushrooms, onion, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in spaghetti sauce, basil, oregano, pepper and reserved sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta. Serve sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup meat sauce with 2/3 cup cooked pasta) equals 372 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,106 mg sodium, 45 carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.