I first tasted this wonderful soup at a friend's house. Now it's my favorite, especially on a cool, crisp autumn night here in Colorado.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup country-style or regular Dijon mustard
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain fat and crumble sausage; return to Dutch oven along with remaining ingredients except mustard. Simmer, covered, 1 hour or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Stir in mustard. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Lentil Soup in Country October/November 1992, p49
Reviews for Sausage Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review