- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan, egg, parsley, rosemary, lemon juice, thyme, lemon peel, pepper and salt. Drain noodles. Spread 2 tablespoons cheese mixture on each noodle; carefully roll up.
- Spread 2/3 cup meat sauce into each of two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Place roll-ups seam side down over sauce. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Cover and bake 45-50 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Lasagna Rolls
"Made this recipe tonight as written except left out lemon (didn't have any).. It was excellent and hubs commented on its great flavor. It's a keeper in my family. Only thing I didn't understand was the 2 pans. Would have had to double recipe to fill 2 pans as 12 rolls and sauce fit fine in one pan."
"I used the dried versions of all the herbs, and omitted the salt. Confession - I didn't measure the cheese. Life is too short to measure cheese. The ricotta comes in a container, so I know that was 15oz. The mozz and parm, I just eyeballed, more than likely a little more than generously. Since I only had 9 noodles, I only made one pan of rolls. I used about 26 ounces of sauce, about half a large jar, adding in a pinch of brown sugar and a sprinkle of each of the herbs."
"I made this two nights ago , although I did make one change in the recipe by using "hot" sausage for some extra flavor and spice as my entire family really likes a lot of spice. This was easy and excellent! My family and three of my sons friends all loved it!I will be making this again for sure. I really liked the brightness the lemon and zest gave to the recipe! It's a keeper!!"
"Quick, easy, delicious!"
"Would use cottage instead of ricotta cheese, (It's a texture thing) and basil, oregano, garlic and bay leaves for seasoning ; omitting the k lemon too"
"Boy was this ever neat. I make a meatball/sausage lasagna all the time and it is super time consuming. This has alll the flavors and is quick and easy. The only thing I did differently was I had some home made marinara sauce in the freezer I used.The dish looks pretty cool too when it is done."
"My husband makes the lasagna for us usually. A 6 hour process from start to finish. When we want lasagna but without the big hassle of it, I make this. I usually get 9 noodles out of mine. Definitely a keeper."
"Very easy and really good. Since there are only two of us I divided it into thirds. Only problem is that I ran out of filling and ended up with 10 rolls. But forus that's fine. We definitely make again"
"This was easy to make, I like this because it was my turn to cook and I got two meals our of it (well actually 3 or four, just my wife and I ). I am just getting back into cooking since I retired and I found this a easy meal, it left time to make salad and make some garlic bread. Next time no Rosemary, instead Sweet Basil, someone mentioned adding mushrooms , I like that idea. BTW the dinner turned out good, on time an hot."