- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, 1-1/4 cups Parmesan cheese and the remaining pepper. Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with four noodles, 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese mixture, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1-1/2 cups sauce. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover with greased foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned and heated through, 5-10 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Lasagna
"This lasagna was amazing!! I wanted a combination of sausage and ground beef and I like it meatier, so I cooked up about 1 ? of each, combined them and froze half for next time I want to make a meat sauce. The only other change I made was adding Italian seasoning and some parmesan to the sauce. The no bake noodles are a big time saver. This dish is definitely a keeper!"