"This zesty Italian soup is sure to become a favorite with your guests - just as it has with mine," promises Nancy Dyer of Grove, Oklahoma. "The spicier the seasoning in the sausage, the better the soup."
- 1 pound uncooked Italian sausage links
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh kale
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place the sausages in a ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; pierce casings. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onion and bacon 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add water, broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-in. slices. Add kale, cream and sausage to soup; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage Kale Soup in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p52
Reviews for Sausage Kale Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review