Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked Italian sausage links
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh kale
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place the sausages in a ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; pierce casings. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onion and bacon 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add water, broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-in. slices. Add kale, cream and sausage to soup; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Kale Soup(12)
Sort By :
Looks exactly like the picture and it tastes amazing! I used a little whole milk instead of the heavy cream. And my 18 year old daughter loves it! I would definitely recommend this recipe!
My husband loves to eat this soup at a very well known italian resteraunt, so when I found that I could make it at home, I jumped at the chance! I made this in my crockpot and let it cook on low all day for about 8 hours and then I added the kale and let it sit on the "keep warm" setting until we were ready eat dinner a couple of hours later. It worked beautifully! My husband remarked that this recipe was more flavorful and heartier then the soup he loves at the italian resteraunt! I plan on making this again soon and freezing the left overs of this current batch for another day. (Field Editor)
Love, love, love this! Our whole family devoured it. I have tried several kale recipes with no luck, just not a vegetable we have liked but this recipe is amazing! You don't need to change a thing. We didn't have the bacon so omitted it and it was still fabulous. This is a new family favorite.
Don't overlook this recipe in the summer months! Grill the sausage outside with another meal and then make the soup later in the week! It is a great way to use kale and the small amount of heavy cream is just enough to add richness to the soup. This is excellent year round and we will make it again at our house!
good soup add some crushed red pepper