Sausage Hot Dish
I normally don't cook foods in the microwave, but this meal is the exception! The flavorful combination of ground beef and sausage makes it unique. We like it a lot. --Carol Rydman, Midland, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumble half of the beef into a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Layer
- with half of the potatoes, carrots and onion. Sprinkle with half of
- the thyme, salt and pepper. Repeat layers. Pour water over top.
- Cover and microwave at 70% power for 16 minutes. Meanwhile, in a
- skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Spoon over beef mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5-7
- minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Heat 30 seconds longer. Let stand for
- 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 358 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 730 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.