- 1 pound sage-flavored bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook and stir until transparent. Drain, discarding all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Stir in flour; cook over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns golden. Stir in milk. Add seasonings; cook, stirring, until thickened. To serve, slice biscuits and spoon gravy over halves. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Sausage Gravy
Sort By :
"I started making this when I first found it in TOH back in 1993. At some point my husband took it over and has made it one of his specialties. He uses this recipe, but cuts back on the nutmeg and adds his own little touches here and there. When he's done it's the best sausage gravy EVER!! When we have company for breakfast it's always what everyone wants and when we go visit family, he's always asked to make it!"
"I love this recipe. I will also make it with reduced fat sausage and even half regular and half turkey sausage and I have used skim milk. The nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce is what I feel give it that extra something that other recipes don't have. I am glad this was easy to find as I always loose my recipe and have to come here and print a new one each time. This time I am printing 2 copies. I LOVE taste of home."
"First time I made sausage gravy and it was a little too thin for my taste. I added some cornstarch/water mixtre at the end the thicken it up, but my husband said he thought it affected the flavor."
"This is a delicious gravy recipe. The nutmeg, worchestershire, and hot pepper sauce add a depth of flavor not found in "traditional" sausage gravy."