This savory sausage gravy is a specialty amount country folds in our area. It's best served over fresh, hot biscuits. It makes a real "sticks to the ribs" dish that we always enjoy and carries a traditional flavor that can showcase locally produced sausage. —Mrs. J. N. Stine, Roanoke, Virginia
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound sage-flavored bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium-low heat. Add
- onion; cook and stir until transparent. Drain, discarding all but 2
- tablespoons of drippings. Stir in flour; cook over medium-low heat
- about 6 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns golden. Stir in
- milk. Add seasonings; cook, stirring, until thickened. To serve,
- slice biscuits and spoon gravy over halves. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 284 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 490 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.