Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 1 pound sage-flavored Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook and stir until transparent. Drain, discarding all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Stir in flour; cook over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns golden. Stir in milk. Add seasonings; cook, stirring, until thickened. To serve, slice biscuits and spoon gravy over halves. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Sausage Gravy
Sort By :
"I love this recipe. I will also make it with reduced fat sausage and even half regular and half turkey sausage and I have used skim milk. The nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce is what I feel give it that extra something that other recipes don't have. I am glad this was easy to find as I always loose my recipe and have to come here and print a new one each time. This time I am printing 2 copies. I LOVE taste of home."
"First time I made sausage gravy and it was a little too thin for my taste. I added some cornstarch/water mixtre at the end the thicken it up, but my husband said he thought it affected the flavor."
"This is a delicious gravy recipe. The nutmeg, worchestershire, and hot pepper sauce add a depth of flavor not found in "traditional" sausage gravy."
"My family loved this gravy. I didn't use sage flavored sausage and totally spaced the adding of the Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce, but it still tasted great. I might use less nutmeg next time (personal taste). Overall, very easy to make and delicious on top of biscuits."