Sausage Florentine Bake Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (12 ounces) extra wide noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and nutmeg; mix well. Stir in spinach, noodles and onions. Discard bay leaf from sausage mixture.
- 3. In each of two greased 9-in. square baking pans, layer a fourth of the noodles and a fourth of the sausage mixture. Top each with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining Parmesan.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 555 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 217 mg cholesterol, 1,103 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.