"When we were kids, my mom made these sausage and egg sandwiches for us on Sundays," shares Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's Melanie Love. "Now that I'm a mom, I like to make them, too."
Recommended: 21 Breakfast Sandwiches Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 package (7 ounces) reduced-fat brown-and-serve sausage links
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 6 pita pocket halves
- 1/3 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until heated through; remove from the pan. Cut into 1/4-in. slices; keep warm
- In a small bowl, beat the egg substitute, onions, milk, oregano and pepper. Lightly coat another large skillet with cooking spray. Add egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are set. Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise inside each pita half. Fill with the egg mixture, sausage, lettuce, tomato and olives. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Egg Pitas in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p43
Reviews for Sausage Egg Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review