Sausage Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 369 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein
Reviews for Sausage Corn Bread
"Five stars. I've been making this for years. Use a iron skillet with super hot butter melted in it before you pour in the batter. Makes a nice crisp crust."
"My husband and other family members give this recipe all-round thumbs up."