Sausage Corn Bread
Corn bread is a staple here in the South. I added sausage and cheese to a corn bread recipe and came up with this satisfying dish. It goes especially well with soup.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine
- cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs
- and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet.
- Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining
- cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 369 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 731 mg sodium,