Corn bread is a staple here in the South. I added sausage and cheese to a corn bread recipe and came up with this satisfying dish. It goes especially well with soup.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Corn Bread in Country Extra July 1997, p49
Reviews for Sausage Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2013
"Five stars. I've been making this for years. Use a iron skillet with super hot butter melted in it before you pour in the batter. Makes a nice crisp crust."
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2011
"My husband and other family members give this recipe all-round thumbs up."