Sausage Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg white
- 1. For corn bread, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, applesauce and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Crumble corn bread over mixture. Add the apples, chestnuts, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper. Stir in broth and egg white.
- 4. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor's Note: Dressing can be prepared as directed and used to stuff a 10- to 12-pound turkey.
3/4 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.