Sausage Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
The phrases “holiday dinner” and “low-fat” are seldom used together, unless Rebecca Baird’s corn bread stuffing is on the menu. Made with turkey sausage, herbs, fruit and veggies, this recipe lets you enjoy all the trimmings without the guilt, notes the field editor from Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg white
- 1. For corn bread, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the buttermilk, applesauce and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into an 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Crumble corn bread over mixture. Add the apples, chestnuts, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper. Stir in broth and egg white.
- 4. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 16 servings.
3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC