- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the corn, milk, eggs and oil. Pour half into a greased 10-in. ovenproof iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and cheese. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on top. Bake at 425° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Corn Bread in Country Extra July 1997, p49
Reviews for Sausage Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2013
"Five stars. I've been making this for years. Use a iron skillet with super hot butter melted in it before you pour in the batter. Makes a nice crisp crust."
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2011
"My husband and other family members give this recipe all-round thumbs up."