Sausage Chowder Recipe
Kay Nichols Wellsburg, West Virginia Warm your body and spirit with this comforting chowder. I love sausage and sweet corn, so I put them together, and voila! This is a great soup to serve on a chilly day, along with piping hot homemade biscuits.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 pound bulk sage-flavored sausage or sausage of your choice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the water, potatoes and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add corn; simmer 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into the sausage mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 401 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC