Sausage Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced
- Sliced habanero peppers, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a greased microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-6 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, turning every 2 minutes. Cut into cubes; set aside.
- 2. Place potatoes and broth in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes. Add the onions, peppers and garlic; cook 3-1/2 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the picante sauce.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually add to potato mixture. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and sausage; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with habaneros if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 270 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.