Sausage Chicken Soup Recipe
I've been making this satisfying soup for years, but my husband still is thrilled whenever I put it on the table. It's loaded with slices of smoked sausage, chunks of chicken, fresh peppers and hearty potatoes. Spice it up or tone it down with your family's favorite picante sauce. -Helen MacDonald, Lazo, British Columbia
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced
- Sliced habanero peppers, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a greased microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-6 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, turning every 2 minutes. Cut into cubes; set aside.
- 2. Place potatoes and broth in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes. Add the onions, peppers and garlic; cook 3-1/2 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the picante sauce.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually add to potato mixture. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and sausage; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with habaneros if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 270 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC