- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced
- Sliced habanero peppers, optional
- Place chicken in a greased microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-6 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, turning every 2 minutes. Cut into cubes; set aside.
- Place potatoes and broth in a 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes. Add the onions, peppers and garlic; cook 3-1/2 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the picante sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually add to potato mixture. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and sausage; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with habaneros if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Sausage Chicken Soup
"A very hearty and tasty soup. But next time I'd make a few adjustments.1. Needed way more broth. I added about another 1 1/2 cups, but it wasn't enough.2. It took longer to cook the potatoes than mentioned. They were cut up very small but had to go 12-15 minutes longer.3. Because of the needed broth and longer potato cook time, it would be just easy (or maybe easier) to cook on the stovetop."
"Everyone loves this soup! Every time I make it, everyone raves about how good it is. I just make cornbread with butter and honey to accompany it. I also add roasted frozen corn at the end to cool it before eating. I used hot Italian sausage, instead of smoked sausage, squeeze it out of the casings, and brown it in a skillet before adding the remaining ingredients to my pressure cooker, in which I cook it 45 minutes. I'm quite certain I use a lot more chicken broth than it calls for. I do not use the flour."