Sausage Cheese Snacks Recipe
"When I was growing up, my mom often made these open-faced sandwiches as a special treat on cold Friday nights," says Melissa Fowlkes of Streamwood, Illinois. "I now make them for my family. They're a great change of pace on pizza night."
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage or pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread, cut into 22 slices
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mozzarella cheese, halved
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce and mushrooms.
- 2. Place bread slices on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; spoon 2 tablespoons of sausage mixture on each. Top each with a half slice of cheese. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 22 slices.
1 serving (2 slices) equals 259 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 631 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC