This marvelous manicotti, created by our Test Kitchen staff, is cheesy, saucy and savory.
- 10 uncooked manicotti shells
- 8 ounces turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups (24 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet; add the red pepper and onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Drain manicotti; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage mixture, egg whites, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, fennel and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1/2 cup in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Cheese Manicotti in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p9
Reviews for Sausage Cheese Manicotti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review