- 3-1/4 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the eggs, potato flakes, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside to cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; sprinkle with 1 cup sausage and 1/4 cup cheese. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Sausage Cheese Crescents
Sort By :
"I haven't tried these yet, but do have a question. Since the recipe makes a lot, what is best way to freeze them? Before baking or after baking and then reheat. Thanks for any suggestions. I would really like to try these, but cannot use this many at a time."