Sausage Casserole For Two
MY MOTHER'S FAMILY was of German descent and enjoyed sausages and frankfurters. This recipe was one of their favorites.
I don't know if Mother made up this recipe or if it was handed down to her, but it's scrumptious and can be made in portions small enough to satisfy two people.
-Kathryn Curtis, Lakeport, California
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 smoked cooked Polish sausages (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tomato slices
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise; place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking
- dish. In a medium saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter
- until lightly browned. Stir in cream, mustard and garlic powder;
- bring to a boil. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Pour over
- sausages; top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15-20
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with tomato slices.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 491 calories, 42 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,054 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or