Sausage Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add carrots and celery; saute for 3 minutes. Add caraway; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 259 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Sausage Cabbage Soup
"Awesome soup I was a little scared with the brown sugar and vinegar but turned out fantastic."
"This is a new family favorite in our home! It was super easy to prepare and the caraway gives it a unique flavor we all enjoy. I used a bulk sausage that I had on hand and used the drippings to saute the onions. I am sure it will taste great as written, too. My husband is still commenting on how good it was an hour later!"
"This soup is so tastey. I used Turkey Kielbasa and omitted the salt and it was very good."
"I used Smoked Turkey Sausage and it turned out very good."