Sausage Cabbage Soup Recipe
My family often requests this satisfying soup. I've served it to guests for lunch and as a cold-weather Sunday supper. It's really good with a tossed green salad and a crusty loaf of bread. -Stella Garrett, Orlando, Florida
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add carrots and celery; saute for 3 minutes. Add caraway; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 259 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC