Sausage Brunch Braid Recipe
"I created this sausage-stuffed bread when I needed something special to bring to a party," writes Amelia Meaux of Crowley, Louisiana. The versatile braid can be served at breakfast or as an appetizer or entree.
- 12 ounces Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add cream cheese, green onion and parsley. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; set aside.
- 2. Unroll crescent dough on a greased baking sheet; seal perforations. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spoon sausage mixture to within 3 in. of long sides and 1 in of ends. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternately strips at an angle, forming a braid.
- 3. Brush dough with egg. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 201 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC