Sausage Brunch Braid Recipe
"I created this sausage-stuffed bread when I needed something special to bring to a party," writes Amelia Meaux of Crowley, Louisiana. The versatile braid can be served at breakfast or as an appetizer or entree.
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add cream cheese, green onion and parsley; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- 2. Unroll crescent dough onto a greased baking sheet. Roll into a 12x10-in. rectangle, pressing perforations to seal. Spoon sausage mixture lengthwise down center third of rectangle. On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends. Brush with egg.
- 3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 249 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC