- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and stir sausage, broccoli and onion 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Drain pasta; add to skillet and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Broccoli Simmer
"Yum! I used hot chicken sausage and added some feta cheese, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. For the pasta, I made whole grain penne, and I thought the feta really added something to the dish. It came together pretty quickly and I would definitely make it again. Although for my family, I would probably stick to a milder sausage rather than the hot I used for my husband and myself tonight. I would just add a little crushed red pepper to our portions!"
"Fantastic, quick & easy - but for us I reduced the pasta to 2 cups. Served w/the ever present salad."