Sausage Broccoli Chowder Recipe
In New England we frequently have cool fall evenings that call for a dinner that warms you all over. This chowder does that. I must admit I don't care too much for the taste of broccoli, but I really like this chowder.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook broccoli and carrots in chicken broth until tender. Stir in sausage and mushroom mixture. Add the soup, tortellini, pepper, basil and thyme; heat through. Stir in cream and cheese; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 298 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC