Sausage Broccoli Chowder Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 9 ounces cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook broccoli and carrots in chicken broth until tender. Stir in sausage and mushroom mixture. Add the soup, tortellini, pepper, basil and thyme; heat through. Stir in cream and cheese; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Sausage Broccoli Chowder(3)
Sort By :
This is an awsome soup. I have been making it for years and every time I make it for company somebody askes me for the recipe. However I do not use all half and half. I use one quart of whole milk and one quart of half and half because it gets to be a bit much. Cook it up, you'll love it. Chicago.
Fantastic! For my family, I doubled the sausage and the tortellini....it was wonderful, one of the best recipes I've made in a long time :)
This soup is absolutely tasty. I followed the directions and found that maybe next time, I will decrease the half and half by 1/2 since I like a little thicker soup. Very good!!