Sausage Bread Dressing Recipe
My husband and father go crazy for this dressing. Although leftovers are rare, it freezes quite well. To save time, chop the veggies and prepare the stuffing mix ahead of time.—Bette Votral, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup corn bread stuffing mix
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1. In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes and stuffing mix; set aside. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, apple, mushrooms, celery, salt and pepper in butter over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add to stuffing mixture. Stir in the broth, pecans, parsley and sage; toss to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: about 12 cups.
3/4 cup equals equals 166 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC