Sausage Bread Dressing Recipe
My husband and father go crazy for this dressing. Although leftovers are rare, it freezes quite well. To save time, chop the veggies and prepare the stuffing mix ahead of time.—Bette Votral, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup corn bread stuffing mix (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes and stuffing mix.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and add to stuffing mixture.
- 3. Add butter to same pan. Add apple, mushrooms and celery; cook and stir over medium-high heat until mushrooms are tender. Stir in parsley, sage, salt and pepper. Stir into stuffing mixture. Stir in broth and pecans.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: about 12 cups.
3/4 cup equals 166 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Sausage Bread Dressing
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC