- 4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup corn bread stuffing mix (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes and stuffing mix.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and add to stuffing mixture.
- Add butter to same pan. Add apple, mushrooms and celery; cook and stir over medium-high heat until mushrooms are tender. Stir in parsley, sage, salt and pepper. Stir into stuffing mixture. Stir in broth.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: about 12 cups.
Reviews for Sausage Bread Dressing
Sort By :
"Outstanding! I made this for Thanksgiving dinner and everyone loved it. We have a new "must have" for the holidays!"
"I sereved this on Thanksgiving my guests and I believe it is one of the best dressings I have made in the 40 years of making stuffing for Thanksgiving. Loved it !!"
"This recipe sounds like the one I make only I use breakfast sausage. It' a meal in itself. Great leftovers."