Sausage Bean Stew Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) kidney beans, butter beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until the barley and lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 338 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1228mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Sausage Bean Stew
"My family loves this stew on a cold day with cornbread. I add a 8 oz can of tomato sauce."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.