Sausage Bean Stew
Meet the Cook: One of the reasons I like quick dinners like this is our two sons, who are 7 and 6. With boys of those ages, I am constantly on the go! Plus, I home-educate our children. With this recipe, if we really get involved in a science experiment or an art project, I can still fix a good meal for my family.
-Cheryl Nagy, Newark, Ohio
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) kidney beans, butter beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook
- over medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until the barley and lentils
- are tender. Stir in spinach; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 338 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 1,228 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.