Sausage Bean Stew Recipe
Meet the Cook: One of the reasons I like quick dinners like this is our two sons, who are 7 and 6. With boys of those ages, I am constantly on the go! Plus, I home-educate our children. With this recipe, if we really get involved in a science experiment or an art project, I can still fix a good meal for my family. -Cheryl Nagy, Newark, Ohio
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) kidney beans, butter beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until the barley and lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Bean Stew in Country Woman January/February 1995, p31
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sausage Bean Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2009
My family loves this stew on a cold day with cornbread. I add a 8 oz can of tomato sauce.