- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, basil and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Sausage Bean Soup
"I always make recipes "as is" when trying for the first time. We actually found this to be a bit bland in its original version. I jazzed it up the second time by using Italian-diced tomatoes, as well as more basil and then added some Italian spice. This helped a lot."
"I used the butter beans and kidney beans also the smoked turkey kielbasa, it was awesome! Don't forget the basil, makes the dish! Thanks TOH!"
"Super easy and it goes together real fast. I did simmer mine covered for longer than 10 minutes. Removed the lid and simmered for 10 minutes. I also added a little bit of water to it the next day as it really thickened up overnight.Hubby said its The Best *Janie"
"Such a wonderful soup. I added 1 tsp of beef bouillon and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Also used northern beans. It turned out really delicious and leftovers were even better! A definite keeper!!"
"Loved this soup! So tasty!"
"My husband loves this recipe!"
"I used turkey sausage. You could also use smoked turkey kielbasa. It was very good and I enjoyed it very much."
"Tasty, easy to make. Used northern beans in place of the butter beans."
"so quick and so tasty"
"We really enjoyed this soup. It was quick and easy, but very flavorful. I used great nothern beans instead of butter beans."