Like my mother and grandmother, I'm a frugal cook. I purchase meats in bulk, including sausage. This is one creative way I've found to use sausage in an evening entree. Our children often request these zippy burritos. -Eleanor Chlan, Ellicott City, Maryland
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, rice and 1 cup salsa; mix well.
- Spread about 1/2 cup sausage mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining salsa.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 burritos.
Originally published as Sausage Bean Burritos in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p29
Reviews for Sausage Bean Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 29, 2011
"A favorite for our family"
Reviewed Nov. 13, 2009
"This is a delightful change to burritos. Since they are flavored with salsa, my teens loved them. Very easy to make. They have become a regular around our home."