Sausage Apple Supper
Smoked sausage, sauerkraut, tender potatoes and apples come together in his hearty and flavorful main course. “It’s great in the winter after a day at work or playing in the snow or ice,” Gladys De Boer attests from Castleford, Idaho.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Cortland apples, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute sausage and onion in butter until sausage
- is browned. Top with the sauerkraut, potatoes and apples. Add the
- apple juice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 571 calories, 32 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 2,715 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or