Smoked sausage, sauerkraut, tender potatoes and apples come together in his hearty and flavorful main course. “It’s great in the winter after a day at work or playing in the snow or ice,” Gladys De Boer attests from Castleford, Idaho.
Featured In: 26 Favorite Camping Recipes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Cortland apples, peeled and cut into thick wedges
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute sausage and onion in butter until sausage is browned. Top with the sauerkraut, potatoes and apples. Add the apple juice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Apple Supper in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p30
Reviews for Sausage Apple Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review