Sausage Apple Roll
My family loves country-style cooking. But once in a while, I like to dress up down-home dishes and make them a little more special for company. A crunchy coating adds a nice touch to a traditional sausage loaf.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups finely chopped tart apple
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- Pat sausage onto waxed paper to form a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle.
- Combine apple, wheat germ, bread crumbs and onion; mix well. Spoon
- and gently press onto sausage; beginning at the narrow end and using
- the waxed paper as an aid, roll up jelly-roll style.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the
- roll reads 160°-170°. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 248 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.