My family loves country-style cooking. But once in a while, I like to dress up down-home dishes and make them a little more special for company. A crunchy coating adds a nice touch to a traditional sausage loaf.
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups finely chopped tart apple
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- Pat sausage onto waxed paper to form a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Combine apple, wheat germ, bread crumbs and onion; mix well. Spoon and gently press onto sausage; beginning at the narrow end and using the waxed paper as an aid, roll up jelly-roll style.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the roll reads 160°-170°. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Apple Roll in Country Pork 1996, p82
Reviews for Sausage Apple Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review